Monday, August 29, 2011

Blessings Abound

Today was the aftermath, clean up from Hurricane/Tropical Storm Irene. A day of mixed blessings, lots of debris, folks without power, flooded streets and embankments and at the same point it was a day of dry air, a slight breeze and a cloudless azure sky overhead.

The oppression of the last few day was gone but so was the fear and nail-biting over what the outcome of having a gigantic Catherine-Wheel spinning a path of destructive power towards you nearly head on, releasing the energy equivalent of a 70 megaton bomb every 20 minutes. It was a tense period of time. The outcome was so uncertain - now it is over. A new day scrubbed squeaky clean by the large scouring pad that cleansed the atmosphere of all the nastiness. It's not the way I would choose to do it, a simple cold front followed by high pressure and drier air would have been entirely acceptable. But I wasn't asked so I didn't get to put in my two cents worth...

Today is a day, that for me had a second benefit. Although it marks passage of another year of living somewhat precariously on this world. Another swing of the Foucault Pendulum of life.

When I looked a little later I had suddenly amassed a ton of friends writing back to wish me a happy day and to make me smile. I blushed and made a vow to write each and every one back to thank them for being special. Their gifts of kindness, support and friendship are better than any gifts I could hope to receive. OK, maybe a beautiful necklace and a wonderful dress with ruffles and stately elegance... no, no... they truly are a gift from a great spirit.

I am often not thinking how thankful I am for all the lovely people in the trans community that reach out, selflessly, and give of themselves. It's a few minutes, a cozy chat or just sharing a link or song that makes you smile. Or showing off their own talents so that they can show the inner beauty they possess inside. Trans people have some of the most amazing talents I have ever seen. They give of themselves yet are humble and understanding of what they are going through.

I promise not to make this as long as other posts... but I had to post my feelings... today is doubly-blessed. First to have survived and seen the survival of, the wrath of nature and now witnessing her astounding beauty and seeing the astounding beauty in friends that eclipses anything I would ever hope for or imagine was possible. Today I feel loved and that love is truly even more miraculous than the gift of this amazing day. Days come and go, some good, some bad. But friends are treasures of untold worth. Every time you find them, they amaze and entrance you like nothing else. Days are fleeting things, but friendships are forever.

Blessings are truly bountiful today (and to be truthful, every day) with someone by your side to help you soar to the stars!!

No comments:

Post a Comment